The School Counseling Department at Short Pump Elementary believes:
- The school program should be based on an agreed-upon belief system about the ability of all students to achieve and indicate how the school counselor can aid the students in the education process.
- It is important to respect and appreciate each student’s values and cultural backgrounds.
- The school program should address students’ academic, personal, social, and career developmental needs and focus on primary prevention though classroom lessons, counseling groups, and individual counseling services.
- The school counselor should advocate for every student.
- All students shall have access to a full-time, state certified, master`s degree level school counselor to plan, deliver, and manage the counseling program with input from all stakeholders.
- The school counseling program will be continuously evaluated though data collection form students, parents, faculty, Advisory Committee, and administrators, and results will be used to enhance the effectiveness of the program.
- The School counselor should participate in professional development activities.
- Ethical guidelines should be taken under consideration and practiced at all times.
Adapted from ASCA National Model
And Virginia Professional School Counseling Manual
The mission of the school counseling program at Short Pump Elementary is aligned with the school`s mission, which is to promote academic achievement, social competency, and empower students to become life-long learners and productive, contributing members of society. The counseling department will address student academic, personal/social, and career developmental needs and focus on primary prevention by providing classroom lessons, counseling groups, and individual counseling services. The counseling department will also continue to evaluate and improve through data collection.
(ASCA Handbook, p.29)
(Va. Prof`l. School Counseling Manual, p. 13)
(ASCA National Model, p. 30,31)