Why Elementary School Counseling?
Elementary school years set the tone for developing the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary for children to become healthy, competent and confident learners. Through a comprehensive developmental school counseling program, school counselors work as a team with the school staff, parents or guardians, and the community to create a caring climate and atmosphere. By providing education, prevention, early identification and intervention services, school counselors can help all children achieve academic success.
(Adapted from the American School Counseling Association, ASCA)
Personal information that a student shares with me during our sessions will not be shared with others unless it is critical to the student’s well-being, the student threatens to harm him/herself or others, or reports abuse of any kind. In these cases, I am required by law to report this to administration, authorities and/or parents for the safety of the child. If there is information given to me by the student that would be helpful for others to know, I strongly encourage the student to share with their parent or guardian, and/or their teacher.
**Child Custody Issues**
Please know that I am unable to testify in child custody matters.
- Every month I will visit your child’s classroom to present a lesson on various K-5 topics, such as Bullying, Conflict Resolution, Honesty, Friendship, Coping Skills, SOL Test Prep, as well as many other topics.
Small Group Counseling
- Small group counseling can be requested by the student, teacher, or the parent. Small groups are helpful in that they provide students the opportunity to work with and receive support from peers experiencing similar challenges. Topics include Grief, Changing Families, Self-Esteem, Friendship, Anger/Behavior Management, Organizational Skills, and more.
- Short-term, structured, individual counseling is available to students at the request of the student, teacher, or parent. This type of individual counseling is usually requested when the student is having serious difficulty with academic, personal, social, or other normal developmental issues.
- Each year Short Pump`s school counseling department will host a Career Day! The event will include parent volunteers, as well as volunteers from within our community. To help prepare students for the event, I will present classroom lessons focusing on career exploration and development. I will send out information about Career Day, as well as requests for parent or guardian volunteers.
Parent & Teacher Consultation
- I am available to meet with parents and teachers to discuss any concerns you may have about your student’s academic achievement or personal/social development. Please contact me by phone or email to schedule a meeting.
Community Resource Assistance
- I can help your family locate community assistance and services. It is important that all of our students have what they need to be successful at school and in life. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need some help.
Middle School Transition Services
- The transition to middle school can be exciting and stressful for both students and parents. I offer several programs and work closely with middle school counselors to help Short Pump Elementary`s students and their families transition smoothly into middle school.
504 Case Manager
- If your child has a health-related issue that requires modifications and/or accommodations while in school, please contact me and we can work together with your child’s teacher to create a plan that sets your chid up for success.
International Baccalaureate Coordinator
- The International Baccalaureate Program (Middle Years Program) begins in 6th grade. It is challenging and rigorous, but rewarding. Students apply in 5th grade, but test scores and grades are evaluated from both 4th and 5th grade. Students are encouraged to apply, but keep in mind the program is competitive. I visit all 5th classrooms to talk about the IB program with students. Please visit the county’s IB website for details: http://henrico.k12.va.us/instruction/IBProgram.html